Thursday, December 3, 2015

Time to break out the Hanukkah music!

Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of lights (aka Christmas for Jews), begins this Sunday, December 6th, at sundown. Sadly, all the great Jewish composers were too busy writing Christmas songs to come up with anything really good for Hanukkah (or Chanukah). So we have had to content ourselves with "Hanukkah, oh Hanukkah," or "Oy Chanukah" in the original Yiddish. (Oy Chanukah, indeed. Eight nights of gift giving and eating greasy food? Whose great idea was that?)

On the bright side (hey, this is the festival of light), over the years, a number of singers have taken it upon themselves to, if not create a new, original Hanukkah song (I refuse to acknowledge Adam Sandler's contribution, though I guess I just did), to create entertaining Hanukkah song parodies, which, in my opinion, are way better.

Herewith, my two picks for the best Hanukkah song parody of 2015 -- which you don't have to be Jewish to enjoy.

First up, The Maccabeats singing "Latke Recipe" (to the tune of "Shut up and Dance"):



Next, Rachel Bloom's Chanukah sendup of "Santa Baby," titled "Chanukah Honey," which I love.


Chag sameach!

No comments: