Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Back-to-school ads? In July?

While the teenager is already pining to go back to school (strange girl), I am still enjoying summer. And I was totally unprepared to see back-to-school ads in the middle of July. School just ended June 22! But I have to admit these back-to-school ads from Target, which all feature parodies of some of my favorite 1980s songs, are pretty awesome.

First up Target's "Science Teacher" ad featuring Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science":



Next, Target's "English Teacher" ad featuring The Go-Go's "We Got Beat":



And finally Target's back-to-school ad titled "Music Teacher," which does a riff on Cameo's "Word Up!":



Makes me wish we had a Target close by (though I am so not ready to go back-to-school shopping).

UPDATED: And this just in from Staples, a commercial titled "It's back to school time!" featuring  Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough":



Seriously, what is with all the 1980s new wave music in these back-to-school ads? (Not that I'm complaining.)

3 comments:

Dave S. said...

Those are good but my favorite is still this Staples ad from a few years ago.

J. said...

That is hands-down the best back-to-school ad ever. However, I am not yet ready to do the shopping cart dance down the aisles of Staples just yet -- nor has Staples bombarded our local airwaves with back to school ads (yet), unlike Target.

J. said...

Apparently, I wrote too soon. :-/