Monday, May 7, 2012

Some song that I used to know

I don't have any official stats, but I think it safe to say that Gotye's song, "Somebody that I used to know," could qualify for the Guinness World Records book as the most covered song in the shortest period of time.

For those of you who do not have a car radio, do not work out at a gym, do not have a tween or teen, do not watch entertainment news, or read about pop culture online, here is the original version of Gotye's angst-filled break-up song, "Somebody that I used to know":



And here is the very popular (and covered) cover of "Somebody that I used to know" by Walk Off the Earth, aka WOTE, which has so far garnered nearly 103 million hits on YouTube...



and inspired this parody, which may be my favorite version:



Oompa loompa doopity doo....

ANYWAY... getting back to Gotye and "Somebody that I used to know," you know you've arrived (I guess) when both a contestant on The Voice AND Darren Criss on Glee covers your song within a week of each other.

And you know your song has become a true pop culture phenomenon when a video of two adorable kids lip-synching "Somebody that I used to know" in a minivan becomes one of the most buzzed about videos on YouTube....



It's really just a matter of time (days?) until the Literal and Muppets versions come out, both of which I eagerly await.

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

I loved that song for months and only heard it on 107.1 (The Peak, Westchester's local station). When other radio stations discovered it they played it 24/7...now I hate it.
Love the covers and the girls singing!

J. said...

@Lizzy, I know exactly how you feel. Hate when radio stations burn a song into the turntable, or whatever they use these days to play music.