Saturday, July 2, 2011

D'oh! A deer (and a really cool dragonfly)

Yes, yes, I know deer are giant, tick-infested rodents, but this doe, who has a broken left front leg and a fawn who looks just like Bambi (not pictured) just stole my heart. (In the immortal words of my late father, "Walt Disney screwed us.") And she looked so beautiful and serene resting in the shade of a tree in our backyard that I had to take a picture. (Click on the photo to get a larger view. Then hit the back button to return to the post.)















I actually stood in the backyard for several minutes, letting the deer get used to me, before I took her picture. And it was only when I got pretty close that she stood up and moved away.

Also hanging out at the J-TWO-O spa and all-you-can-eat salad bar yesterday, this dragonfly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This city kid is constantly amazed living in the country. People laugh when I point out the cows or the wild turkeys.

Another David S. said...

Your "giant, tick-infested rodents" talk brings to mind that classic Louis CK bit about deer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoMXovAuCKA

Completely safe for work--as long as the sound is down!