Sunday, May 1, 2011

You be the judge

So I just got back from taking J-THREE-O shopping for spring clothes at Justice, Aeropostale, and Hollister. And unlike the spouse, I actually went into each store, helped my daughter find clothes, waited while she tried them on, and fetched her different sizes. I know: I deserve a medal.

I actually didn't mind. In fact I kind of enjoyed it. But don't tell her that. The reason: I love the music they play in those stores. (Also, I have better luck finding stuff that fits me in those stores than in the stores supposedly geared to women my age. But that's another story.) But getting back to the music, did you guys know that those 1980s classic new wave songs "Don't You Want Me Baby" by the Human League and Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" had recently been remade?

It's true. Though they are not nearly as good, IMHO, as the originals. But you judge for yourselves -- and let me know what you think.

First up, the Human League's "Don't You Want Me Baby":



And now Atomic Tom's version:



And here's Peter Schilling's "Major Tom":



And Shiny Toy Guns' remake:



Which versions do you like better? Let me know via the Comments.

2 comments:

EMM said...

I'd take the original versions. However the Atomic Tom video with Topher Grace, et. al., is hysterical and a decent cover.

Dave S. said...

Being at work I did not watch the videos, not that I could pick Topher Grace out of a lineup to begin with, but listened to the covers. Both originals trump the covers, but I did like the instrumentals behind Atomic Tom and the STG female singer has a great voice. On the down side, I tend not to equate anguished grunting at the end of each line with singing, so points off for Atomic Tom.

I will now listen to Blancmange for an aural palate cleanser.