Thursday, December 9, 2010

You gotta know how to fold 'em

Some of us (me) were born with the folding gene; others of us (the spouse, our daughter) were not. But even those of us blessed with the ability to neatly fold clothes have (admit it) struggled with folding fitted sheets.

I learned to fold fitted sheets from my mother, using the two-person, hold-the-sheet-by-the-corners-width-wise-and-then-fold-corner-to-corner-and-bring-the-half-folded-sheet-to-the-other-person-to-finish-folding method, which worked pretty well -- as long as you had someone helping you. But what to do when/if you were alone? In my case, I emulated the two-person, corner-to-corner method by spreading the fitted sheet on my (queen-sized) bed, going from one side of the bed to the other. Very inefficient, but it works.

But now, thanks to my friend, Justin, and Jill Cooper of www.livingonadime.com, my days of running around the bed to fold a fitted sheet are over! Behold, the power of "How to Fold a Fitted Sheet"!



If I did not already have a set of sheets in the dryer when I watched this video early this morning, I would have done a load. And even though it took a few tries, and my fitted sheet didn't look as neat as Jill Cooper's, the technique absolutely works.

Bonus folding video, for those of you who have always wondered what the best way to fold a t-shirt was:



Btw, if any of you understands Japanese, let me know what she says!

Sayanora and happy folding!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I might have to borrow a folding gene to try that out!

larissa said...

Holy sheet folding
Currently avoiding this
Arigato, J!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing! Where has this lady been for so long? I can't wait to try it. (I'm a foldy)

David T. said...

This will change my life. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

"One of the biggest challenges I'll face in my life?" I think not! But I do love her folding method.

Martha K said...

I (somehow) already knew about the fitted sheet folding bit (maybe my mother in law?)

But I'm positively fascinated with that Japanese shirt folding technique...I've always wanted to try origami...maybe I'll start with my laundry!

Ange said...

Ooh, I can't wait to watch the sheet folding video but, as you can see on my other "God Blog", I'm procrastinating right now.

I am the worst fitted sheed folder of all time! It took me ten years to figure out how to change the duvet cover!

Dave S. said...

I will give the fitted sheet folding a try, as opposed to my usual "eyeball it then fold however which way 'cause it's not going to line up anyway" approach.

The Japanese video, on the other hand, demonstrates a ninja level of folding prowess that the camera appears incapable of capturing.

Emily and Laura said...

My cousin taught me this method of folding a fitted sheet a few years ago, and I was pretty thrilled to learn it. It's just one of those little things to impress people with.

Yes, my life is pitiful, why do you ask? :)