Sunday, January 3, 2010

Are all Jets fans masochists? (UPDATED)

Or just the majority?

(Btw, you can substitute in "Redskins" or "Lions" or "Chiefs" or "Raiders" or "Buccaneers" or "Bears" or "Bills" for "Jets.")

Clearly the folks over at NBC Sports, home of Sunday Night Football, who are sadists, hope so. Ditto the NFL, which moved today's New York Jets vs. Cincinnati Bengals game, the last one of the regular season, from 1 p.m. to 8:20 p.m. ET, no doubt in hopes of attracting a larger audience of masochistic Jets fans -- and sadistic Bengals fans.

I hope the Jets KILL the Bengals. I hope the Jets defense sacks and intercepts Bengals QB Carson Palmer (if he plays tonight) again and again and block and trip up wide receivers Laveranues Coles (formerly a member of the Jets) and Chad Ochocinco (the player formerly known as Chad Johnson) so the Bengals don't score a single touchdown. But in my heart, if I am being honest, I know the Jets have maybe -- maybe -- a 50-50 chance of winning this game, if the Bengals leave in their starters.

Yes, the Jets have possibly the best cornerback in the NFL right now in Darelle Revis (who is going to the Pro Bowl) -- and the rest of the Jets defense ain't too shabby. But I just don't know if Jets QB Mark Sanchez (cute and eager though he is) and the rest of the Jets offense has what it takes to get the job done. But my fellow Jets fans, do correct me if I am wrong.

Btw, Jets management announced this week that tonight's game, the last ever at Giant Stadium, where the temperature is supposed to be a balmy 22 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees with the wind chill), will be alcohol free. That should make all those Jets fans attending the game extra happy.

UPDATED 1/4/09: Today I am a happy Jets fan/masochist as last night the New York Jets of New Jersey CLOBBERED the Cincinnati Bengals 37-0. (Watching the game, I wondered if someone had secretly replaced my New York Jets with some other team, or at least the quarterback, cause this New York Jets team looked unstoppable.) Way to go Gang Green! Until next week...

No comments: