Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Won't you take me to Funky Town?

And I don't mean Denver.

No, my friends (and you are my friends), I mean that classic circa 1980 one-hit wonder from Lipps Inc., "Funky Town," which has been playing on Ear Worm Radio (all annoying, all the time) since AREVA Energy, a Paris-based nuclear energy company purporting to be green, just launched its latest 30-second commercial assault, to the tune of "Funky Town," on the U.S. market this week. The ad appears on CNN and CNBC during both cable channel's Democratic National Convention coverage, which, as you may know (or do now) is 24/7. (What is it about the French's love of absurd U.S. cultural icons? First Jerry Lewis now "Funky Town"? Come on!)

For those of you who missed (or miss) the '80s, here is a clip of the original Lipps Inc. version of "Funky Town." (I particularly like the German lead-in, at least I'm pretty sure the emcee is German.)



For those of you with children 12 and under, here is the Alvin and the Chipmunks one-minute version of "Funky Town," which my 10-year-old daughter immediately cited upon hearing the AREVA ad (which is quickly becoming the most overplayed/annoying ad EVER):



You're welcome.

By the way, for those of you who are unfamiliar with ear worms, at least the musical variety, an ear worm is a catchy song, typically one you don't particularly like, that gets stuck in your ear or head. Full definition available at Urban Dictionary. REO Speedwagon's "Take It On the Run" immediately comes to mind, and I know Dave S. had Night Ranger's "Sister Christian" playing on his Ear Worm Radio for a while. And yes, you're welcome, Dave.

To share your current play list on Ear Worm Radio, leave a comment. As long as it's not X-rated, I'll post it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Chipmunks are infinitely better!

And I would say that while there are bad ear worms, there are also good ones too...

Even though this is seventies, the Cadillac breakthrough commercial comes to mind

Dave S. said...

"Funky Town" is a good example (for me) of a Welcome Ear Worm, and at the moment its kung fu is stronger than "Sister Christian," surely the Most Unwelcome of Ear Worms.

I am actually unable to think of other Ear Worm Radio heavy-rotation items at the moment. For me they are corner-of-the-eyes things, ephemeral and easily frightened. If, in the unlikely event I am distracted from my work, I think of any, I will pass them along.

Dave S. said...

I will also note that X's "Devil Doll" makes a great Bad Earworm Scrubber. And to be clear, it's X but not X-rated.