Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My inner thighs are killing me

Though not for the reason(s) you smut-minded people are thinking. No, the reason my inner thighs are sore (and will be, probably, for several more days) is that I have been biking up hill and down on and around San Juan Island in Washington for two days -- a 15th anniversary gift from my spouse (to commemorate our first bike trip together, in the Loire Valley, for our honeymoon).

And despite walking like a cowboy, I am enjoying every minute of this trip. The other six people, all of whom are from Canada, are lovely. And the tour leader, Nate (who is adorable) and second in command, Luis (a saint), are terrific (and terrifically patient). We totally lucked out.

This morning we went sea kayaking in the cold, gray rain, for three hours, yet it was so beautiful (magical really), no one really cared about the inclement weather. We saw many harbor seals, a nesting pair of bald eagles, and kelp the size of softballs. In a few minutes, we are heading off to Friday Harbor (I know, "On a Tuesday?") to get sandwiches and go on a sunset whale watch.

Pictures to come soon.

Whale-ho!

UPDATED 8/04/08: This is the only Orca we saw in the San Juans.

No comments: