Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Unplugged

Frankly, I didn't think it was possible. But I made it.

Yes, dear reader, somehow I managed to be totally offline (no cell phone, no computer, Internet access, or email) for A WEEK. Not like I really had much of a choice, unless I wanted to schlep up and down a hill lugging a computer or drive to an Internet cafe, either way paying a small fortune for the privilege of entering cyberspace.

I admit, there were some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms... at first. Twitchy fingers... staring into space... the occasional fleck of drool. But I gained (or regained) my equilibrium pretty quickly. And the amazing thing? I didn't miss cyberspace one little bit. In fact, I felt a bit of... remorse? when I went to turn on my cell phone upon landing at JFK Sunday night.

Being away for week (on St. Maarten/St. Martin, which is by no means a third-world country, not with a fleet of cruise ships docking practically every day and disgorging hundreds of eager consumers looking to get $500 or more off a Cartier or Baume & Mercier watch and other high-end baubles), without Internet access or cell phone coverage, allowed me to focus on and enjoy what was right there in front of me, which was pretty spectacular. (OK, not all the commercial development, or the throngs of tourists, or the lubricated beach goers, some of whom could have used waaaay more fabric, if you know what I mean -- and I think you do.)

Yes dear friends, hard as it is for those of you who know me to believe this, I felt... relaxed. Really. Even though the room we were given (which was not the one we reserved and confirmed) was marked for demolition. (There was a thriving rust and mildew colony in the bathrooms; the furniture and major appliances were probably 30 years old; the blankets and some of the towels threadbare; and much of the resort staff unhelpful.) Even though each day a new tour group, fresh off a cruise ship, descended upon the beach, leaving beer tops and cigarette butts in the sand, shepherded by someone with a bullhorn. Even though every time you turned around someone was hawking a time share. Even though dining out on the French side, where everything is in Euros, meant a small pizza cost at least $15.

Yes, dear readers, despite all of that, I HAD FUN AND RELAXED -- without the aid of drugs or alcohol (well, except for the free rum punches, a couple of guavaberry coladas, and the occasional beer or glass of red wine).

It is amazing how easy it is to get attached -- and stay attached -- to our cell phones, BlackBerrys, mobile devices, Internet access, and email. And how liberating it is to discover we can actually live (at least for a week) without them. In fact, next year, I'm going to look for another place with limited connectivity, so I can focus on my tan, snorkeling, and savoring a glass of wine as the sun sets over the ocean.

6 comments:

Dave S. said...

Welcome back! It sounds like a lot of fun. Having a crummy room actually encourages one to spend more time outside of it...

We are heading to Mexico at the end of March and are looking forward to it. Fify-five-gallon drums of SPF3000 are being pre-positioned as we speak.

jjv said...

Its people like you frivously taking vacations that are tanking the economy and giving the Chinese a leg up in their attempt at world domination.

J. said...

So I guess Dave S. is people like me, huh?

Sounds like somebody could use a trip to Havana. ; ) Come on, JJV, I'm spreading democracy abroad and promoting goodwill towards the U.S. of A. And the bikini I bought was from a branch of an American store, so I was helping our great economy not laying the groundwork for Chinese domination. I don't even like Chinese food anymore!

Dave S. said...

I am proud to be considered people like you, J! Especially when people like us get to travel to Mexico etc.

I attribute the edge to JJV's comment as a reflection of his truly horrendous work schedule, in which he travels a lot without the benefit of umbrella drinks at the destination.

On the other hand, if you don't want to give JJV's argument a leg up, don't look at the "Made in" label on that swimsuit.

jjv said...

Well that is a cogent economic argument C + I +G = the economy.

And another thing, if there are bikinis involved why are we posting one-piece pictures? I haven't checked the by-laws of blogging but I think it violates somekind of internet rule given my somewhat limited knowledge of the form and technology (not bikinis, computers).

and Dave S. is correct I'm both pasty and bitter.

J. said...

"We" (as in the imperial "we") are posting a one-piece picture as "we" don't want to be hated by more females than "we" already are nor do "we" want to seem too frivolous or attract the wrong kind of attention. Of course, as you are a happily married male, who would never dream of looking at another woman in a bikini, I shall comment no further on your bikini query, though I think I sent Dave S. a link to our vacation pix, which include several bikini shots (all very G-rated).